Instituted in 1933 as part of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s New Deal, the Civil Conservation Corps (CCC) was a voluntary government work relief program throughout the United States. It targeted young men ages 17-28 years old and provided manual labor jobs and housing as well as a small stipend. East Tennessee had many CCC camps. In Sevier County and in the Smoky Mountains area, there were camps in Cades Cove, Cosby, Elkmont, Greenbrier, Gatlinburg, Jefferson City, Sevierville, Townsend, and Tremont.
This annual from 1937 covers the C District, Fourth Corps area, which included Jefferson City, Sevierville, and Tremont. From the North Carolina side of the Smokies, it includes, Canton, Mt. Sterling, Ravensford, and Smokemont.